Sunday, October 19, 2014

Translating Our Thoughts

Language creates a lens through which we see the world.  Each of us perceives the same events differently depending on how our experiences are filtered through our respective linguistic lenses.  I experienced this firsthand on my family vacation to France when, as the sole French speaker in my family, I was charged with translating everything—menus, strangers’ conversations, descriptions of pieces of art—in real time.  Although I speak both languages well and could conceptualize the ideas being communicated in French, I was often unable to find a direct translation that accurately reflected what was being said.  The underlying concepts that go into constructing a phrase in French differ slightly than in English, and I found many subtleties to be difficult to verbalize.  This is the problem of ideas getting “lost in translation”: while most concepts can be expressed by all languages, they cannot be expressed in exactly the same way.
Words for specific and complex ideas are not consistent cross-linguistically, to the point that some nuanced ideas concisely communicated in one language are nearly impossible to articulate in another.  One example that comes to mind is the Portuguese word “saudade.”  The word roughly translates to yearning for, longing for, or missing someone or something, but with a measure of warmth and implicit joy of having had the experience.  English speakers, having no single word for the emotion, cannot quite comprehend it.  Not that English speakers are incapable of feeling “saudade,” they simply cannot distinguish it from ideas like “yearning” and “nostalgia,” much like being unable to distinguish between some phonemes that are not present in the English language but are contrastive in another. An English-speaker would categorize the emotion according to the sum of its recognizable parts, while a Portuguese-speaker would comprehend it as one distinct emotion. 
Another difficulty with translation lies in the availability of particular verb tenses cross-linguistically. In my own experience, the most notable is the lack of the present progressive in French—the “-ing” construction in English.  In French, the present tense can signify “I do this,” “I do do this,” or “I am doing this,” while each have their own distinct construction in English.  Therefore, with my English-centric mind, I naturally include these strict distinctions in the structure of my thoughts due to the accessibility of the verb tenses. Conversely, a native French speaker would not make these distinctions when describing an action because the linguistic tools are not readily at his or her disposal.  On the other hand, English has no subjunctive tense, which is used in French to communicate feelings, opinions, necessities, and desires. Since it does not fit into my native linguistic framework, I often have issues using the subjunctive naturally, although I understand its grammatical purpose intellectually.  Because of these distinctions in tense, I find specifics of actions easier to communicate in English, but nuances of emotions easier to communicate in French. 
This suggests a larger cultural idea: generally English-speaking cultures are more focused on action, specificity, and practicality while French culture is more focused on art, emotion, and intellectualism.  Thus, a propensity for action-based verb tenses in English and emotion-based tenses in French and their effect on the speakers’ frame of mind could be a reflection of basic cultural differences.   Language is more than just a method of communication—it shapes how we perceive the world around us and creates a framework for our thoughts. 

For discussion: How much of our perception of the world is dictated by the language we speak?  How do the structures of languages correlate to the cultures and environments in which they evolved?

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post because it got me thinking about the differences in Korean and English. I am a native Korean speaker, but I am more fluent in English. However, although I use English on a daily basis, there are still words that I only use in Korean, mostly because English has no equivalent words. Now that I think about it, Korean has a lot more descriptive words than English! So whenever I have to describe taste, touch, and smell, Korean words fly by my head before English words do.
    In addition, it’s rude to say “you” to an older person in Korean. Therefore, even in English, I still feel really uncomfortable saying “you” to someone older than me. I try to write my e-mails in such a way where I don’t use the word “you,” and I also don’t use the word “you” very frequently when speaking to someone older than me. I’m also not very used to calling older people (especially teachers, seniors, and strangers) by their first name. Thus, after reading this post, I realized I also see the world culturally differently depending on which language I speak! It’s a fascinating idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Translation is something that I've always found interesting. As you point out, due to cultural and environmental differences, languages tend to have words that just cannot be directly expressed in some other language, but instead only approximated. However, sometimes there are words that may translate into many different words in another language and picking the right word that gets across the correct connotations is nearly impossible.Years ago, my mother spent some time working on a translation from french to english of Alphonse de Lamartine's poetry. In order to translate these poems, there was so much historical/cultural/environmental knowledge that needed to be uncovered (or guessed at) in order to construct an english translation that was able to express a similar message as the french.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting point - that is, how much of the world we perceive is shaped by the language we learn. I automatically jump to emotions for this because I have always heard and experienced times when language A would have a word describing a specific emotion that language B did not define. Does that shift our culture and society on how we act? Does it even affect us at all? This also reminds me of my relationship with my mom, who's first language is Spanish. Growing up we strictly spoke Spanish but she sometimes wants to practice English with me. Part of me struggles when speaking English with he because I feel like she is not expressing her whole thoughts since it is not her native tongue. Somehow I feel like her ideas and thoughts are not as raw in comparison to if she said them in Spanish. This relates back to the idea of perception and how it shifts because of our language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English in fact contains more synonyms-- that vary slightly to show nuanced differences in meaning— than most other languages (it is possibly the most synonymous language out there) and does a pretty good job at encapsulating ideas when compared to other languages. English has so many synonyms due to the multiple linguistics influences had upon the language from other tongues, such as French and Gaelic, as well as other circumstantial factors such as prodigious wordsmiths like Shakespeare, who introduced over 1700 words to the language. I do think this post is very interesting, however, and it also raises questions about the differences in cognition between those speaking the same language, but with vastly different vocabularies.

    ReplyDelete