Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Real and Unreal Language: Perspectives from an Unconventional Background

I’m not sure how to start except to say today in lecture Meghan used the word “boo-hiss,” and it was a great moment for me. 

Immediately noting my own unfamiliarity with the word, I looked to my peers for context the second it was uttered. Should I be laughing? Or empathize with sadness? Was our professor angry? Simply irritated? 

Growing up in Cypress, Texas, as the child of African immigrants, moments of confusion like today were quite familiar.  The reason isn’t because I was raised in a household where broken English is the norm. On the contrary, both my mother and father have spoken English since childhood and do so with the precision that comes from learning a language in an academic setting, since they both attended American schools all their life and did in fact learn all their English in an academic setting.

Though I'm hesitant to assign dialects value judgments such as "real,” if we're equating "realness" to correctness, their English is very "real.” I'd venture to say that their use of the English language is more "real" than most natives, myself included, since it was learned in an academic setting rather than colloquially, but does that make it better? I don't believe so. 

That precision led to (a) a very confusing childhood for me, and (b) questions like those that came up in lecture today. Mainly without deciphering between prescriptive and descriptive grammar, what should makes a word real (no quotation marks here), rules or usage? 

For me the consequence of the precision of their dialect is simple, there are so many "unreal" words that I have so little experience with. I’ve never had trouble understanding “real” words, and as a native speaker I can of course keep up with words added in my time. However, understanding American slang from the generation above me will always be hit-or-miss. I don’t even try to understand random American colloquialisms anymore. I’m aware that decades of words that may be functionally fantastic are lost on me, but many of these words sound like “boo-hiss” to me.

The look splashed across the room this morning has been a permanent fixture on my face, far more than many of my peers. Indeed, today was the first time I can recall that I wasn’t in the minority; nobody got it. Does the fact that nobody in the class understood “boo-hiss” make it less real than the unreal slang that the majority does recognize? Where do we draw that line? Where ought we draw that line?

Given that language's expressed purpose is to be communicative, should a majority's understanding of a word make it real? If not, then what makes a word real? I thought long and hard about it, and I was unable to articulate any criteria I was satisfied with. However, I know that criteria are necessary. Naturally I googled (one of my favorite words; it was added in 2006), and I found a TED talk conveniently titled "What makes a word real?" by language historian Anne Curzan.  

According to Curzan, the key is an individual's attitude towards language - whether or not you believe there is value in living language.  Having experienced the English language with and without "unreal" words, I conclude without a doubt, yes. While I'm not sure when a word should formally become "real,” I know that once a word is defined (perhaps not in the Oxford Dictionary, but socially) it's on its way to being understood. And once a word becomes commonly understood, how can it not be real (again, no quotes)? 


Thoughts? Here’s the link to Anne Curzan’s TED talk if you want to check it out: http://www.ted.com/talks/anne_curzan_what_makes_a_word_real?language=en.

4 comments:

  1. I think I agree with what you are describing makes a word real or not. I also believe that once a word (ultimately a mixture of sounds) can carry meaning, it can become a word. What I think the article in class touched on, which was also interesting, was the concept of people believing certain words are not real because they do not fall under what many consider "Standard English." I think that creates an argument in itself because who decides when words are part of this standard english we talk about? I don't have an answer to that but I thought it would be an interesting point to bring up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was just about the only one to recognize "boo-hiss" when it was said in class. When I heard it spoken, I wasn't fazed--it hadn't occurred to me that it was such an uncommon phrase.

    Once I saw that none of the other students had heard "boo-hiss" before, it occurred to me that the only person whom I'd ever actually heard say it, besides myself, was my aunt. Like Meghan, my aunt is from New York. Is "boo-hiss" something from a certain part of New York?

    This made me wonder about how phrases carry meaning in certain areas, but not others. I'm reminded of the New York Times dialect test that asks, among pronuncations for words, what phrases you would use to describe something: "What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?" I grew up in Oregon, so I'd never heard it described as a "Fox's Wedding" or "sunshower" before. I really enjoyed seeing the different linguistic patterns in different parts of the country.

    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, Nahva and thanks, Laura, for following up with the very interesting map article. On a related note, the following is an article showing pronunciation and lexical differences across the United States. For example, how does the pronunciation of the word "caramel" vary across regions or what do people call a big road that you drive relatively fast on (freeway vs. highway)?
    http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

    My second comment is how it might be interesting to think of this topic/question in the context of expressions like "a stitch in time saves nine" and the sort. I think there are some expressions of that nature that while the majority recognize, they might not all have a good sense of what it actually means or they might have contrasting views. In other words, there's an extra dimension beyond just recognizing the word or phrase but also having a shared understanding of its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although, I have never sat to down to consciously think about the question you pose. I have no doubt thought about it many times at least in passing. Having grown up all around Latin America and going to international schools with people from all over the world I quickly picked up words that if you search for in a dictionary may seem "unreal". These geographic colloquialisms only seem to carry intrinsic meaning when communicating with someone that is familiar, or at the very least can assume, the word's meaning. Does that make a word real or unreal? Honestly, like yourself, I have a hard time coming up with the criteria. If I apply Curzan's definition I immediately say yes -- unreal words are an essential part of language. However, some part of me also wants to be able to come up with some form of standardizing language across regions and cultures. This is where it gets tricky. I am not sure how we can make an unreal word become real, but this however, does not remove a words intrinsic value and importance to our day-to-day communication.

    ReplyDelete