Sunday, October 19, 2014

Language, Culture, and Identity

After my sophomore year of college, I decided to take a year off to live and work in Argentina.  Having studied Spanish for over five years, I left the United States feeling very confident in my Spanish-speaking abilities.  However, I quickly discovered that the years I spent inside the classroom had done little to prepare me for the foreign language experience I was about to have.  My experience in Argentina revealed to me the importance of language in reflecting cultural attitudes and building self-identity.

Just minutes after touching down in Cordoba, Argentina, I began to see the difference between Argentinian Spanish and the Spanish I had learned in school.  When the customs official turned to me and asked, “¿Hablas Castellano?”, I feared I had landed in the wrong country.  Turns out, the Spanish spoken in Argentina is commonly referred to as Castellano, a name that reflects the language’s Castillian origin.  I quickly learned why:  Most of the words I learned in Spanish class were pronounced differently in Castellano.  For example, the “ll” sound which usually represents the [ j ] sound is pronounced as a [ ʒ ] sound in Castellano.  The word "tu", which translates to the informal “you” in most Spanish speaking countries does not exist in Argentina, which instead has its very own informal you (“vos”) and accompanying set of verb conjugations.  

This unique Argentinian variation of Spanish reflects a larger cultural theme.  Many Argentinians consider themselves different from other South Americans.  Many will say they identify as Europeans just as much or more than they identify as South Americans.  This cultural attitude is reflected in their unique vernacular, which sets their country apart from other Spanish-speaking ones.  In addition, Argentinian slang demonstrates strong European influences.  If you listen to an Argentinian speak Spanish, you might almost mistake it for Portuguese or Italian for its intonation, pronunciation, and borrowed words.

Furthermore, the Argentine vernacular reflects the country's cultural values surrounding the nature of work.  One striking example of this is that in Argentine Spanish, the phrase “¿Qué haces?”, which directly translates to “What do you do?”, actually means “How are you doing?”. In the US, the question “What do you do?” is often one of the first asked when getting to know someone, reflecting that our culture places a strong emphasis on one’s career in determining personal identity.  In contrast, Argentinian’s place less value on work as a component of self identity.  The fact that the phrase “¿Qué haces?” takes on a different meaning in a social setting shows that Argentinians consider work to be a smaller factor in one’s self identity.  

Language also played an important role in my own identity when living in Argentina.  Although I was fluent enough in Spanish to express any thought I wanted to convey, I wasn’t always able to do so in the exact, precise way that I wanted to, or with the degree of eloquence that I was accustomed to in English.  My unsophisticated speech had a surprisingly strong effect on my self-identity.  My inability to speak in more complex, nuanced ways made me feel less intelligent when expressing my thoughts.  

When I returned to the states, I brought my Argentinian Spanish back with me.  Back home, my Mexican friends would tease me for my Argentinian accent, suggesting that my new accent made me sound stuck-up and arrogant.  My identity, too, had been shaped by the language.  


My experience in Argentina gave me my first glimpse into the power of language in both reflecting and shaping human culture and identity.  An intriguing follow-up would be exploring the circumstances in which language simply reflects culture and identity and those in which it actually creates and shapes it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much about Argentina or Spanish, but in my French class last year, we spent a day looking at the differences between French in France and French in Quebec. There are differences in pronunciation and vocabulary of course, but one of the most interesting things to me was the swear words. In Quebec, swear words are usually related to the church or holy objects. For example, "tabernacle," "crisse" (Christ), and "calisse" (chalice) are very common. This reflects Quebec's history of strong religious control and, as a result of this, the Quebecois people started using "sacred" words to express frustration and anger. So I think it would be interesting to look at Argentina's history to see how that might have influenced the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linguistic determinism is the theory that language is highly if not deterministically influential with respect to shaping identity and thoughts. Human beings communicate and think conceptually (I mean this literally, as in everything we possibly know or believe is fundamentally a concept superimposed onto reality) and our ability to conceptualize things is deeply tied to our perspectives on ourself and our culture. Linguistic determinism is also considered by anthropologists in understanding the evolution of institutions in a civilization (such as Jared Diamond). Your experience in Argentina could be symptomatic of an alteration in the concepts that are stressed in the argentinian spanish versus other languages you are more familiar with. The psychological implications of language are fascinating, particularly when you consider how limiting the finite nature of human language could be to people experiencing a paradigmatic societal shift like the one we are living through now (with the movement from the industrial to the technical based society). Do you feel like certain argentinian ideas have become more salient in your mind or have influenced your perspective on the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting topic. One example that I’ve noticed of this bidirectionally-informative relationship between language and culture has to do with Colombian Spanish and the Colombian conception of time and punctuality. In Colombia (at least in major cities), punctuality is generally considered a key element of proper etiquette for official business appointments. Yet in social situations the culture is much more relaxed. If you plan to meet up with friends at three o’clock, it’s generally perfectly acceptable to arrive closer to 4 or 4:30. And both of these conceptions of time (punctual/strict and relaxed) are reflected in the way Colombians use Spanish. Many Spanish words that mark time or related concepts can mean several different things depending on their context – sometimes the same word can even mean two or more seemingly contradictory things.

    For example, depending on the speaker and the context, “ahorita” can mean “immediately” (with some urgency) or it can mean “in a little while.” “Ya” can mean “already” (as in “ya lo hice” (“I already did it”)); it can mean “right now” (as in “hazlo ya” (“do it now”)); it can mean something along the lines of “in a minute” (as in “ya voy” (“I’m coming,” or “I’ll be there in a minute”) or “ya vengo” (“I’ll be right back”)). . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The point that stuck out to me was the part about "this cultural attitude is reflected in their unique vernacular, which sets their country apart from other Spanish-speaking ones". This argument almost implies that Argentinians hold some intrinsically different beliefs that motivated them to deliberately change their language to be set apart from other Spanish vernacular spoken in South America.

    The correlation between culture and language has been deliberated and studied for a long time but nobody has yet to point to a convincing linear relationship between the two. It's almost a historical coincidence that Argentina was a region under heavy influence of the Portuguese,which would explain the linguistic difference. As to their cultural attitude, that would be analogous to a self-affirming prophecy. Because they are different, they naturally become prideful of the differences and seek to provide explanations and justifications for these differences.

    Culture and language are intertwined and cannot be separated. As much as academia is all about theories and generalizations, some things may just need to be chalked up to historical coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me, the large distinction between Argentinian Spanish and the Spanish spoken in other Latin American areas seemed reminiscent of the large difference between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese. Brazilian Portuguese is heavily influenced by indigenous languages, especially Tupi-Guarani which contributed thousands of loanwords for flora and fauna, names for municipalities and states, and had a strong influence on the phonetics of Brazilian Portuguese. Several important structural and grammatical differences separate the two as well, namely the second-person pronoun (“you”) and the present progressive tense (“-ing” construction in English). In Brazilian Portuguese, the pronoun “você” is used for second person singular and “vocês” is used for second person plural. While an informal pronoun “tu” exists, it is generally considered disrespectful outside of Brazil’s southern states. In European Portuguese, “tu” is widely used and “você” is considered rude in some parts of Portugal. For the present progressive, Brazilian Portuguese has a construction similar to English, with the suffix “-ndo” analogous to “-ing.” In European Portuguese, the construction is “a”+ infinitive. For example, “I am working” in Brazil would be “Estou trabalhando” while in Portugal it would be “Estou a trabalhar.” Because of these lexical, phonetic, and structural differences, speakers of Brazilian Portuguese often have great difficulty understanding European Portuguese, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete